When, back in 2006, I was diagnosed with breast cancer I couldn't believe it. I had been leading a healthy lifestyle: no smoking, no drinking, working full time but also finding the time to relax, to go to the gym, to swim, to go mountain trekking. I kept asking "Why? Why me?" There was no answer. I learnt the hard way that illness is a lottery, not only cancer, but other serious illnesses too, and that they can happen any time, to anyone. I was 36 then. After my surgery I was healed but had to undergo intensive chemotherapy. After taking some months to recover I went back to work and life became "normal" again.
Some time later, a colleague from work told me one day that she was feeling down because she turned 37 that day (she knew I had had breast cancer). I couldn't believe my ears and I said: "What? Isn't this what we all want? To get older? To become old and wrinkled but having every year the most precious gift of all: health?". She stared at me with round eyes, speechless for a while, and then she said: "How right you are! I think this is the wisest comment I've heard for a long time." I wasn't trying to make any wise comment, I was just speaking my mind.
January 2011: I was diagnosed with metastasis on my liver and some of my bones. This time was even harder. I thought I was going to die, but my oncologist gave me hope: "There is a treatment, you know? This is not the end". I was crying bitterly on her table, trying to retain her words, wanting to believe them, but fearing... scared to death.
I began to listen to my body, and my body told me nice things: it felt strong, it was getting ready for the fight again. I was 40. I was turning 41 the following month. I promised to myself and to my body that I would definitely celebrate my birthday the best I could. And so I did. I didn't shed a tear, I had a smile on my face all day and I embraced the congratulations from friends and relatives. The radiotherapy sessions for my right hip bones had ended successfully and a few days later I started a long chemotherapy treatment, which I am still undergoing with good results.
I indulge in my own meditations. The stronger my mind is, the stronger my body feels; the stronger my body is, the stronger my mind feels. It's a circle. And I follow my oncologist's advice all the way. She also wants what's best for me. Chemo is not a nice treatment, but it's the best we have nowadays. I may be on chemo for a year. The doctor tells me the longer, the better. And I think: "Yes, the longer I can live with good life quality, the better". So let's go on with chemo. I don't mind, I feel all right... I feel safe.
Coming from a country where we enjoy the four seasons of the year, when I came across the following quote by Albert Camus in a bookstore it meant so much... I always bear it in mind:
"In the toughest Winter I could finally learn that inside me there is an invincible Summer".
Thanks, Elisabet for sharing. It's autumn now, my favourite season.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOur consciousness of death not necessarily leads us to fear or anxiety. It just makes us more appreciative of life, of living!
ReplyDeleteLet me share with you this quote:
"Courage is more exhilarating than fear, and in the long run it is easier. We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up, seeing it is not as dreadful as it appeared, discovering that we have the strength to stare it down."
~ ELEANOR ROOSEVELT, You Learn by Living
beautiful post
ReplyDelete