Monday, June 13, 2011

Round 2 of Herceptin tomorrow

Blood test showed low white blood count, so just got another booster today, and scheduled for chemo and herceptin tomorrow. As usual, having bone ache but bearable.

Asked my doctor about having genetic test(BRCA1&2), and his advice was to take care of myself for now, and to educate my family members, relatives and friends to do monthly breast examination. Even if I happen to have strong gene which falls under high risk group, the result may just further add mental worries, because the preventive measure was for me to remove my breast, and probably ovary too.

It's hard to answer hypothetical question, but if I were to know before that I would definitely have cancer(like now), I probably would remove my breast, so that I do not have to worry about cancer treatment like chemo, radio, etc. However, how would we know if cancer will develop in our life time, and while it will reduce the risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer to zero, it does not guarantee that cancer cell will not develop in other organs.

On second thought, without knowing if I will have cancer later, just because I have higher risk of cancer, would I really remove my breast as preventive measure? Sounds outrageous, as the surgery (and the gene test) is not be covered by insurance!

So, my conclusion is to deal with cancer as it comes, instead of having to worry about it.

For now, let me focus on round 2 tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Requesting for a test is absolutely appropriate, especially you wanted it for your loved ones. Of course, with more accurate information, we may make better decision. Nonetheless, you have done your best under the circumstances. Don't beat yourself up for the past. Stay focus on your new awareness, make informed decision from now onwards. If you need support, you know there are plenty. Sending my love.

    ReplyDelete