The healing journey of a breast cancer patient. When I started this blog, the purpose was to update my friends about what happened to me. Little did I know that blogging has its own therapeutic effect, and has become part of my healing process. Now, a friend even joined me in this journey and agreed to co-author this blog.(YS)
Saturday, May 12, 2012
Radiotherapy to solve my motor function?
It's been a month since the diagnosis. I survived without radiotherapy and I could feel my nerves giving in to the tumors. From numbness to stiffness to weakness... it is slowly showing in my movements. My fingers still function but now typing with difficulties on my left fingers.
So, it's a matter of time, I guess, for the next step, which is radiotherapy. Let's see how it goes, as I am buying time, and enjoying the moments with my new body - I'm grateful for all the functions that still work.
I remember Mr Tatsuya in Japan from the English speech class in PARC Freedom school. He was a true inspiration. He attended the speech class with difficulties in some of his muscular functions including speaking clearly. He often said "pass" when it's his turn to speak, as he takes a long time to compose his words and express himself. However, on the last class, when everyone was to give their final presentation, he prepared well, and delivered his speech. The teacher said, "we respect his intelligence", when I mentioned that it was empowering to even have him in the class. The speech class itself was challenging enough for most Japanese, as the participants have to do public speaking in their second language, English, but Mr Tatsuya showed us the possibilities. Possibly the only limiting factor is our own selves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
给自己留出一点空间,理解并尝试接受新的自己。
ReplyDelete珍惜自己仍然灵敏的右手。
左手仍是你的,你的手指没有任何physically的改变,只不过它决定改变和你相处的方式——从归属和依附于你,变成了long distance... 好吧,你和左手之间不能敏锐地感觉到对方的触摸,但你们仍然相爱。
I find this brochure Understanding Brain Metastases contains rather good information on the biological and medical aspects of brain tumors. Hope you may find it useful too. Apparently, the cerebellum of our brain allows motor functions. See http://www.braintumor.org/assets/docs/Understanding_Metastatic_Tumors.pdf
ReplyDeleteAre you interested to listen to some of the brain tumor survivors' stories? You can share your story too. You can submit online :)
See survivorship:
http://www.braintumor.org/patients-family-friends/about-brain-tumors/survivorship/
http://www.braintumor.org/patients-family-friends/about-brain-tumors/survivorship/survivorship-faq.html
http://www.braintumor.org/patients-family-friends/story-corner/winning-the-fight-of-my-life.html
http://www.braintumor.org/patients-family-friends/story-corner/Kendall.html
http://www.braintumor.org/patients-family-friends/story-corner/story-topics/survivorship-quality-of-life.html
My best wishes for you to heal, to enjoy the quality of life. Everyone has the right to continue living well until the last breath. Do you see me like you? The tile of the theme song of your first documentary film. Thanks to our dearest friend, Mei Chern!
Transfabulous, thank you for these links..very useful. Salaams, Susanna
DeleteHello my dear friend, have been meaning to tell you how I went to the Waseda Hoshien Japanese Language Volunteer Group, and thought of how you must have enjoyed that bustling environment so much. I did not find your favourite teacher, but was assigned an older teacher who is just right for me. Have been thinking of you a lot while I look for bargain vegetables and fruit in little stores..can imagine how this frenetic bustling city must have been so invigorating for you. :-)
ReplyDeleteGo gently with yourself as you go through these changes...you mentioned enjoying moments with your new body...I'm glad you're still enjoying the moments, and every moment. Keep sending love to every part of your body including those weakened fingers as we all send prayers for healing your way.
If radiotherapy is indeed needed, then stay receptive to its powerful healing potential...the possible side effects can be dealt with once the progress of the cancer is arrested.
Genki des! xxx Susanna