I am re-reading a book which I had read many years ago. There's a short sentence on one of its pages that didn't pass unnoticed back then, as I had drawn a thin line with a pencil on the side of the paragraph. It goes like this:
"If life is a journey, it is always a journey uphill."
We all have our own fights and certainly life tends to get complicated as years go by. Now that I have less health and more time, I sometimes indulge in my own thoughts and it occurred to me that there should be a reason for life being uphill. If we rush through life we may soon get tired, as it is tiresome to rush uphill. Maybe life is trying to teach us something: to slow down. In doing so we may be able to see beautiful small things to which we barely paid attention before. It's not necessary to suffer from an illness to put this into practice; we can do it in our busy daily lives... to slow down just a little every day. Every little drop counts and, even though life will continue to be a journey uphill, we will have learnt to stop and stare, to take deep breaths from time to time, and to continue walking uphill feeling invigorated, stronger, and full of hope. In doing so, in the long run we may improve our life as well as the lives of those around us.
It also occurred to me that I feel like an alchemist lately. It's not easy, it requires constant efforts, it's a hard task to turn the negative experiences (in this case related to cancer) into something positive or, at least, not so negative. But it can be done. It's just a question of keeping on trying, of never giving up, of never losing hope. So I keep trying, like an alchemist trying to turn lead into gold.
No comments:
Post a Comment