Monday, December 3, 2012

Sizes and statistics (by Elisabet)

When I was diagnosed with metastasis of my breast cancer two years ago I was told by my oncologist that the most threatening were my liver lesions. I was told that I had to undergo a long-term chemo treatment because the toxicity produced by the tumors in my liver might go to my brain and cause sudden death. Luckily, that didn't happen. It was only some months later (when the lesions had reduced more than 50% their size) when the doctor told me the initial size of my 2 liver lesions: 45 mm. and almost 60 mm. diameter. They were really big, so big they even touched each other and melted into each other. Of course I was frightened, but then I said to myself that I was not going to worry about sizes.

The same applies for statistics. I simply don't care about them. Of course they are useful to doctors, to science... useful for further research. So that's good, statistics need to be taken into account by the professionals in these areas, but not by me. As a cancer patient, I leave this task to the doctors and researchers. My job is to focus on myself, body and mind, my job is to keep alive, to try to wake up everyday with a smile... my job is to take the prescribed drugs (I'm on oral chemo now), to undergo the necessary tests and scans, and to just live.

One of the many things that make me feel alive is to write and, to my surprise, writing in this blog has become therapeutic for me. I write not only to express myself, but also in the hope that at least some of my writings can inspire and be of some help for those who read them with patience and understanding. I also write out of deep friendship for the creator of this blog, who is one of my best companions in this journey and whose courage and optimism are so inspiring and so important to me.

6 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing. First time n cud be the last for me to comment as i m having my visual problem, probably due to brain tumors that is growing... my liver is technically clear but i think the scans r more applicable to doctors than to patients. for now, i just keep fighting n count on you to maintain the blog- keep hopes ALIVE....YINSAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course... you know you can always count on me. Please, don't suffer if you cannot write now, you know we can communicate with our minds, without speaking out loud. You know we are by each other's side. I'll keep the blog alive and also our hopes.
      Much love, Elisabet

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your honest sharing, Elisabet...both Yin San and you have displayed such a lot of courage and determination in the face of so much struggle. I pray for healing for you both and for us all..I know from the clarity with which you write, that so much healing has already taken place in your spirit and mind.

    Blessings of peace and healing on you and Yin San both. Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanna. Your words are like precious healing pearls.
      Thank you for being there, by our side.
      Elisabet

      Delete
  3. Just checked the blog today after not seeing Yin on Scrabble for a while. Yin, thanks for finding a way to communicate through Elisabet. Elisabet, thanks for sharing your own courage which mirrors Yin's. I wish you two weren't conjoined by this disease, and yet I'm happy that you both have each other.

    Yin, before I saw these posts i was about to call you on Skype. I have both your home and mobile numbers from back in January when you so kindly offered to let me stay with you things didn't work out at Joe's. Are you up for a phone call to your home phone or would it be too tiring? Dunno how you can get a message to me, but I'd love to talk for a few moments if you're up for it.

    In any case, much much love and my thoughts are often with you.
    xoxoxoxoxoxox

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jennifer, I just feel the need to thank you for your comments, which I've also been reading since I started taking part in this blog.
      Yin's invitation and encouragement to write and to co-author this blog mean a lot to me, and now that she needs to focus only on her healing I will do my best to keep the blog alive as long as my own cancer lets me. It's also a way to keep our hopes alive.
      Really thank you for your kind words and understanding.
      Love, Elisabet

      Delete