Thursday, April 18, 2013

Walking

It's amazing how radiotherapy keeps being effective weeks after it's been done.
I'm happy because it's been very effective: zero pain in my left femur most of the days. So, I gradually increase my exercise: very simple exercises at home, not forcing at all, not carrying any weight, but just some stretching exercises, very mild, doing it very slowly. I do it one leg at a time. Then what I enjoy most: going out for walks!!! No slopes, flat areas, but absolutely rewarding. I started walking for 20 minutes and gradually improving it. These days I can walk for 1 hour non-stop; even more than that if I stop to sit down on a bench for a while (let's say 10 to15 min) or if I have a sit at the terrace of a bar, while enjoying some fruit juice. Now that the weather is getting warm and nice in my latitudes (spring is here) I can really enjoy my walks and my time out.

So, doing this on a daily basis helps build up my stamina and strengthen my muscles, which is very important, as the muscles help the bones, and can prevent them from fracturing. Of course I always take my stick with me; not that I need it so much nowadays, but it helps especially to prevent me from stumbling and falling and so that my hips don't have to carry the weight of my body all the time.

Needless to say, these walks are also a balm for the mind and spirit. I feel happy and invigorated afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. HI,
    Enjoy the scenery, views and people's antics while you take your walks. A winner in all aspects of it.

    Take care.

    tasy.

    ReplyDelete