Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The early morning prayer

My apartment is within a stone's throw from the mosque(maybe about a hundred metre or so if I draw a straight line), so the early morning prayer has become part of my routine. It used to bother me a lot, especially when I have guests over. A foreigner friend was woken up from her dream and having exposed to the broadcasted prayer for the first time, she was quite alarmed and asked, "what's that?". My 2 year old nephew was woken up from his sleep and started crying. Other friends asked, "how could you stay here for all these years?" The speaker is so powerful that it sounded as if it has been played from next door!
There were times when I got irritated with the loudspeaker broadcasting speeches(ceramah) on Sunday morning function, which I suspect is either wedding ceremony or a religious ceremony because the preacher started talking about how wives should be serving the husband. I called the police at least twice explaining that while I have full respect to religious ceremony and prayers, it is disturbing the neighbourhood to broadcast preaches on loudspeaker a Sunday morning, which usually start from early morning, and lasting for hours.
The prayer this morning which started before I started to blog just ended, at about 6:40am, and I have found peace while listening to it.

1 comment:

  1. it was a bit too loud & it is impossible to ignore it.... glad u still can find peace eventually but delighted u moving out from there soon!

    ReplyDelete