Monday, March 22, 2010

Grueling chemo

Spent 11 hour in the hospital today for day chemo! Left home at 8:30am, reached Mt Mariam Cancer Hospital at 9am to register and take full blood count, then went through the routine of weighing, taking blood pressure, temperature, urine pH, and waiting... Got to see the Medical Officer only at 11ish, then was advised to eat first so had a drink(healthy bean blend) and a banana. Only at about 12, I was called to see the doctor. My blood count was good, so chemo as usual. I thought this would be my last chemo so I asked what's the subsequent plan on radiotherapy etc, to which he said we'll discuss later.
At 1pm, I finally got to the ward, and they started preparing me. First they poked a valve into my vein, and attached a drip from a bag of saline. It took about an hour or more before the drip was done, then the nurse came to give me pre-medication consisting of steroid and anti-histamine both admistered through the valve by injection. Both made me nauseatic, drowsy, and weak. Then flush me with saline again, this time half a bag, so as the drip acts as the hour glass, as I watched the drops of saline dripping, the time ticked past. At about 4pm, the real chemo drug came. First the T, which gave me bad reaction previously, especially on the first 2 times where I almost passed out, and then had breathing difficulty that I was given oxygen on 2nd chemo! 3rd chemo was easier as they controlled the dripping to the slowest possible. This time, I had a little pulpitation (heart beat shot up from 73 to 92 within 15 mintues) and short of breathing but once the nurse turned down the speed, I recovered. So, another 2 hours went past, then saline again. The second chemo is C, which was given by injection with no major problem, followed by saline. By the time the nurse removed my valve, it is already 7pm, and took us 30 minutes to get home. So, 10 hours in the hospital, 1 hour on travel, 11hour in total.
Good practise for being patient. And thanks for reading such a boring piece, as my brain cells are probably being attaced by chemo drug by now...

3 comments:

  1. the chemo process can be really tiring..... you brave & patient girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you. And you are right, being patient is not easy. Perhaps it is in our gene to be fast paced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. not easy to sustain the grueling process of chemo .. i salute you

    ReplyDelete