Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Need a Job?

When I'm asked by friends or newly met acquantance, "so, what do you do?", I would reply, "studying Japanese". "What else?". "I live."

Often, we are defined by our job so when we are out of job, there is a mixed feeling of "loss". Some may feel "worthless" and "useless",as we are expected to have a job. However, when we have the job, and spend most of our time in it, many also feel "trapped", as we do not have time for ourselves, except on weekend, and our schedule is dictated by the job requirement.

So, the best is to redefine our goal(s) in life. What do we want in life, and how do we align our plans to achieve the goal(s). For now, I'm just happy living, and would like to redefine how life should be - living every moment to the fullest, in whatever activities I choose to do.

3 comments:

  1. "I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works"
    ~ Oscar Wilde (Irish poet, novelist, dramatist and critic)

    "Living simply makes loving simple!"
    ~ Gloria Jean Watkins/ bell hooks (US author, feminist, social activist)

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time you just say, "I am a blogger!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend (who's no longer a friend anymore) who ended up being diagnosed with an illness and after that, was not able to hold down a job much because "which job is not stressful???" went through this as well. I haven't experienced this as much because I'm so anti-social and I never know what to say about what I do... But yes, you're both right. People seem more interested in what we do rather than in the fact that we just are...

    ReplyDelete