Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Zero Interest

Not talking about interest free loan offered to cover the credit card. But about the kitchen. We are all born differently, and I believe in my past life I was an unsuccessful chef who swore that I'll never stepped into the kitchen again.

My motto has been - if I'd have to cook, I'd rather starve. That is really problematic, especially now that I cannot rely on outside food which is full of MSG, and with ingredients beyond my control.

So, imagine me in the kitchen. First washing is relatively easy but not a fan, knowing that worms could come out of the vegetables, or fruits! And after I soak those vegetables and fruits with enzyme, and walk out of the kitchen to do something else, I would have completely forgotten that I have started cooking. Then chopping and preparing, which could potentially be dangerous, as I have cut myself several times in the past while doing it absentmindedly, but with extra care and conscious effort lately, I have survived so far. By the way, my favourite part of cooking is in slamming the garlic! I use a bottle to flatten the garlic so that the skin/peels come out without having to cut it! Next steaming or cooking with pot which sounds very easy but things will go wrong when they do, as I will either forget to put water when steaming, or forget to turn on the switch, or drop something along the way. And finally the food sometimes does not turn out as it should - I put pumpkin cubes in the pot and want it to turn into creamy soup in 5 mintues!

Part of me just resist the act of cooking, which I am learning to embrace, bit by bit. So I start watching cooking show, but end up admiring the kitchen, the host, the ingredient, the process and the food but still with no additional interest in cooking.

I would cook to eat, just as I would eat to live, but I do not live to eat, and definitely not live to cook.

2 comments:

  1. Cutting stuff scares me... Yes, it has been a long while since I've been in the kitchen myself... Sigh! Think the time for me to re-enter is coming soon...

    ReplyDelete